Anyone out there intolerant to soy products???
Welcome to our very first blog for Toddler Tricks. We are really excited to get started and look forward to sharing our ideas and getting to know about your toddler-tricks too. Every ‘trick’ has been tested on a real live toddler and is either no cost or low cost for you to try. The first ‘trick’ I would like to share has become a family favourite. It is a simple game of hide and seek, with pegs and a bowl – trust me, you will get tired of “hunt the pegs” long before your toddler will! Have fun and check us out again on Friday for another Toddler Trick to see you through the weekend!
This toddler trick is perfect for any mobile toddler…even those that are a little wobbly on their feet will find it fun.
You will need:
· A bag of pegs – sprung ones are best, but the push on variety are fine so long as you stick to curtains, bed clothes etc for your hunt
· A plastic bowl, ice cream container, or small bucket for your toddler to put them in.
What you do
1. Start small. Clip your pegs onto curtains, cushions, chair legs and anything else that is in easy toddler reach, but they can’t pull onto themselves (so not on power cords or similar). Take your toddler by the hand and give them the plastic container…together go around the room and show your toddler how to remove the pegs and put them into the bowl or bucket. Lots of praise when they get it right and very soon they will be doing it by themselves.
2. Next time – clip the pegs in easy reach in one room and see if your toddler can pick them up themselves. It might take several attempts but once they get the idea – and lots of praise from you – they are ready to go further afield.
3. I now extend the peg hunt around secure areas of the house and my toddler loves filling her bucket with pegs! Yes, sometimes they do ‘bite’ but she has very quickly learned how to pluck them from curtains, cushions, sheets and clothes (mine and hers).
Big tip: Do count the pegs! I have found stray pegs in some strange places!Tweet